National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) Consumer Access - State Vehicle Record Request Information
Note: The District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, and Vermont do not appear on this list since they do not yet have data in NMVTIS.
How to Request a State Vehicle Record
Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Alaska statutes may obtain an Alaska Motor Vehicle Record.
Complete a Request for Vehicle Record Form 851, sign and date the form, submit payment and any required documents to the Alaska DMV. There is a $10 fee for each record. Government agencies are not charged for this service.
If you are the owner of record on the Arizona title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record (MVR):
- Online through the motor vehicle record request service on ServiceArizona.com
- By mail using the Motor Vehicle Record Request form 46-4416
If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in Arizona, you may ask the vehicle owner to provide you with an Arizona MVR prior to purchase of the vehicle.
- Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Arizona during the last 5 years may not be eligible for an MVR.
- A Title and Registration MVR contains the following information: Owner, vehicle, lien, and brand
Arkansas is under the federal Driver’s Privacy Act and will not give out information belonging to someone else. If you need information from when you owned the vehicle you may send in a written request along with a copy of your driver’s license to request the information.
Your request must contain the following:
- Vehicle specifics such as description of vehicle, VIN, license plate number or name with address for an alpha search.
- Reason for requesting the information.
- Fees are $1.00 for owner/lien holder information and $1.00 for each copy of documents requested such as bill of sale, contracts, etc.
Mail your request to:
Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles
Records Unit, Room 1100
P. O. Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72203
If you need additional information you may contact our Information/Records Unit by phone at 501-682-4692 or by fax at 501-682-4756 or by email at MVInformation@dfa.arkansas.gov
Customer can request vehicle record information by completing a DR2489A and submitting $2.20 for the record search. Information can be found at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/vehicle-record-searches. The DR2489A can be found at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2489A.pdf.
State of Connecticut
Dept of Motor Vehicles
60 State St
Wethersfield, CT 06161 Tel (860) 263-5700
An Idaho Motor Vehicle Record is available to individuals and businesses who can provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) and title number, and are authorized to receive this information under the federal Driver Privacy Protection Act and the provisions of Idaho Code §49-203.
Complete a Request for Vehicle Record online at https://www.accessidaho.org/itd/driver/mvr/index or by completing and submitting a Motor Vehicle Request Form 3374 with a signature, date, and payment. Credit Card orders may be sent via fax or email.
Idaho Department of Transportation
Attn: Motor Vehicle Records
PO Box 34
Boise, ID 83707-0034
|By Fax||(208) 287-3885|
Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Illinois statutes may obtain an Illinois Motor Vehicle Record.
Inquiries about registration and title records should be directed to:
Secretary of State
Motor Vehicle Records Division, Record Inquiry Section
501 S. Second St., Rm. 408
Springfield, IL 62756
Tel 217-782-6992 or 217-785-3000
Information Request Form:
Iowa Department of Transportation
Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, IA 50306-9278
Tel (515) 237-3110
Fax (515) 237-3056
Use form TC96-16G-Request for Motor Vehicle or Boat Record that Includes Personal Information–Government Agency Use Only found at http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-16g.pdf. Submit according to mail-in directions on form. Current record retention is five years.
45 Commerce Drive, Suite 10
Augusta, Maine 04330
Tel (207) 621-2600 or (207) 512-5605
Toll-Free (877) 212-6500
Fax (207) 621-9950
General Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For subscriber information: (207) 621-2600 x038
Maryland motor vehicle record information may be requested by submitting an MVA Request for Record found on our website at https://mva.maryland.gov/Documents/DR-057.pdf
- Applications will need to be mailed to:
6601 Ritchie Hwy NE
Glen Burnie MD 21062
Attn: Room 145 (for driving records) or Room 202 (for vehicle records)
Instructions on how to submit the application can be found on the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration’s website at https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/driver-recordquestions.aspx#:~:text=A%20business%20may%20download%20the,202%20(for%20vehicle%20records).
https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/TitleLookup/intro.aspx. Please select “Title/Lien inquiry” and follow instructions.
Driver and vehicle records are released in compliance with Driver Privacy Protection Laws. For more information, visit the Michigan Department of State website at: www.Michigan.gov/sos.
Complete Records: Complete driver and vehicle records may be requested through the Record Lookup Unit at 517- 335-6198. Records are $11 each ($12 for a certified record) and provided at no charge to government agencies.
Form BDVR-154 is used for an individual or commercial organization requesting their own or another person’s record.
Form BDVR-153 is used for Account holder record lookup requests. Form BDVR-155 is for use by government agencies. These forms are available on https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1631_11465---,00.html.
Bulk Data: Bulk data is available through the List Sales Program. Address inquiries to
Bulk records are record extracts (primarily header information) and do not contain driving, title or registration history.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Pages/records-forms.aspx or call DVS Records Office, (651) 296- 2940.
If you are the owner of record on the Missouri title, you may purchase a title and/or registration motor vehicle record by completing request form 5499, Request From Record Holder form. Form and fee may be submitted by:
- Visiting a Missouri Motor Vehicle licensing office. Office listing and business information may be found at http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/offloc/
- Mail: Missouri Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Bureau-Record Center, P.O. Box 2048, Jefferson City, MO 65105-2048
- Fax (573) 526-7060
- E-Mail email@example.com
Vehicle owner will receive documentation containing requested owner, vehicle, lien, and/or registration information; however, this documentation may not be used in place of the Missouri title for transfer of ownership. For information on obtaining a duplicate Missouri title, visit http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titlerep.php or call (573) 526-3669 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. CT.
If you are not the owner of record on the Missouri title, Missouri record information may be requested by submitting the request form and fee for each record. If personal information is requested, the requestor will submit Request for Motor Vehicle Records with Personal Information form, Form 5091. When no personal information is requested, the completion of form Request for Information, Form 4803 is required. Refer to form for fee assessment.
Public Records Request Review
Prior to release, public record requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:
- The record information you seek or notification in writing with an explanation that prevents release of the record you seek.
New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
Joseph Montoya Building
P.O. Box 1028
1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe 87504-1028
Tel 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO
Download/fill out Confidential Records Release form
Use this form if:
- You would like to obtain a vehicle record
Special Instructions: In addition to taking this form to an MVD office, this form is eligible to be faxed to (505) 827- 2783 and include your name and phone number.
North Dakota vehicle record information may be requested by submitting the Request for Vehicle Information - SFN
51269. Instructions and fees are explained on the form.
Forms can be found on the NDDOT home page web site at
Complete and fax or mail to the fax number or mailing address provided on this form. Or email the signed completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are the owner of the vehicle, you may purchase a vehicle history by downloading a Request for Vehicle Information (DL-135) from www.dmv.state.pa.us. Click on “Forms and Publications”, “All Motor Vehicle Forms, Publications and FAQ’s,” and DL-135. Forms must be mailed to PennDOT for processing.
If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in South Carolina, you may request a South Carolina title history by submitting a completed Request for Vehicle Information form (Form 5027-A) to SCDMV, P.O. Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29016-1498.
The title history for the vehicle will include odometer information and all supporting documentation on file. The cost for the Title History is $6.00. Make checks payable to SCDMV.
Please submit to the following: email@example.com
This form must be mailed in with applicable fees. For any questions please contact VehicleServices.Research@tn.gov
The consumer must:
- Complete and sign the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information (Form VTR-275) located here http://www.txdmv.gov/forms.
- Certify by initialing their intended use of the information on the back of the form
- Submit a completed and signed Form VTR-275 with a copy of the customer’s government issued photo ID, written authorization and required documentation, if applicable, by mail. Or visit a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Regional Service Center for assistance.
- Include payment ($5.75 for title history or $6.75 for a certified title history) in the form of a personal check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to TxDMV. Do not mail cash. Fees are not refundable. If the requested information will be used in legal purposes, a “certified title history” is recommended.
To contact the department, please visit: http://www.txdmv.gov/contact-us.
If you are the owner of record on the Utah state title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record by completing Utah form TC-890. Once completed please mail the form and payment to the address listed on the form.
If you are not the owner, please review the other authorized reasons listed on our form. If you can meet one of these
conditions, you may be entitled to the motor vehicle information.
You can obtain this form on-line at www.dmv.utah.gov
- Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Utah during the last 10 years may not be eligible for a record search.
- The owner name, vehicle information, lien holder and any brands will be provided.
For a Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI) on a vehicle titled in Virginia go to www.dmvnow.com. On DMV’s home page, go to the bottom of the page under General Information and click on Obtaining DMV Records. Once on the screen titled Obtaining DMV Records, look down the list of available transactions for Vehicle History Reports and click on the Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI).
Washington State vehicle record information may be requested by submitting a Vehicle Record Request form to the Department of Licensing.
- Access the DOL home page web site at http://www.dol.wa.gov
- Click on “Get a Form”, located in the center grey part of the home page
- Click on “…more forms by title” then scroll down the list to find the form called “Public Record Request-Public disclosure”
- At the top of the form, in the first paragraph, click on the link for a complete list of public disclosure forms, www.dol.wa.gov/forms/formspd.html. Scroll down this list to the second heading titled: “Vehicle or boat information”
- Click on the second bullet in the list called: “Vehicle Record Request”
- Complete and email, mail, or fax as indicated on the second page of this form. Or call the Vehicle/Vessel Record Disclosure unit at (360) 359-4002 and we will mail or fax the form to you.
- Your request will be acknowledged within five business days of receipt.
Public Records Request Review
Prior to release, Vehicle/Vessel public records requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:
- The records you seek or notify you in writing with an explanation of the applicable statutory exemptions that prevent release of the records, along with an explanation of how those exemptions apply, in whole or in part.
Contact our Records Management Unit at (304) 926-3909 or go to https://transportation.wv.gov/DMV/Forms/Pages/Search-Results.aspx?Title=&DMVFormNumber=dmv100-tr&DMVFormCategory= and download and complete form DMV100 “Request for Vehicle Information” and either mail or take to our Vehicle Services section at the main DMV office in Kanawha City, WV with the applicable fees.
Wisconsin vehicle record information can be requested by submitting the Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request form, MV2896 and a $5.00 fee for each record. If personal information is being requested, the form needs to have one of the boxes checked authorizing release of personal information. http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2896.pdf
Additional information related to privacy of WI motor vehicle records can be found at: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/rcd-crsh-rpt/privacy.aspx.
If you are the owner of record on the title, you must contact the County Clerk in the county that the title was issued to order a duplicate title. If you are the registered owner of record on the registration, you must contact the County Treasurer in the county that the license plate and registration was issued to order a duplicate registration or replace a lost or stolen license plate.
The County Clerk’s and County Treasurer’s telephone numbers are listed on our website at http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration.html.
For a title search, we follow the Federal Privacy Disclosure Act. If you qualify, you may complete our Privacy Disclosure Agreement and pay $5.00 for each title search. The Agreement is found on our website at http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration/title_search.html.